Meat Pies are to West Africans, what Patties are to Caribbeans, and Empanadas are to those with Spanish heritage. Meat Pies are embedded in the childhood memories of most West Africans. For our founder Abena, hers was of buying a warm meat pie along with a bottle of chilled soda, to cool down in the sweltering heat on Sundays.
Back then, a good gauge of economic conditions was the state of the filling of Meat Pies. When the generous helping of fillings in a Meat Pie became sparse and turned into an "Air Pie", most people know that economic conditions had become difficult.
Our POKS Meat Pie recipe is definitely not an Air Pie recipe, and is perfect for the Big Game or any game for that matter. We've even made it easier by using the Pillsbury Crescent Roll Dough in place of making dough from scratch. Cheers as you Discover FlavorFULL Goodness
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Frozen Peas & Carrots
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Small Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- Olive Oil
- 1/8 POKS Red Chili West African Seasoning
- Pillsbury Crescent Roll Dough
- Salt & Pepper (To Taste)
- Egg Wash (Optional)
- Saute the chopped onions in olive oil until tender.
- Add in the ground beef, and brown in the sauteed onions.
- Drain off the excess fat, add the browned beef back into the pan, and stir in the tomato puree.
- Add in the frozen peas and carrots, a drizzle of water, and POKS Red Chili Seasoning. Allow to cook for a minute and allow to cool.
- Follow the instructions on the Crescent roll can to open the can, and form the needed squares.
- Fill the dough squares with a generous scoop of the filling, seal and make the desired shape.
- Baste the pies with egg wash for a deeper golden brown color if desired.
- Bake according to the can instructions until the dough is cooked.